This is the original and traditional red lentil soup that will surprise you with its practicality and flavors. Lentils soup is one of the go-to recipes in Mediterranean households. It is very easy to make, super budget friendly and nourishes your body and soul.
Why You Must Rinse Your Lentils Before Cooking
Lentils, like any legumes, contain substances that our bodies have a hard time to digest. By rinsing it several times, until the water runs clear, we can prevent bloating and discomfort lentils may cause us. Red lentils are not like green lentils so they do not need to be soaked but must be rinsed. When you first start washing the lentils, you will notice foaminess and a white color in the water. Keep washing until the water comes out clear. Strain and add in the pot.
Health Benefits of Lentils
Lentils are rich in folate, iron and protein. It is one of the most preferred vegan proteins since they are low in calories and last up to 4 days in the fridge. Lentils protect your heart and your iron levels. In the Mediterranean region, lentil soup is enjoyed with fresh squeezed lemon juice as lemon is rich in vitamin C and vitamin C increases the absorption of iron.
Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tomato
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs black pepper
- salt to taste
2. Grate the tomato by cutting it in half and leaving the skin on so you can safely grate it
3. Rinse the lentils until the water comes out clear
4. Add the tomato and the lentils in the pot
5. Add boiling hot water and all the spices. Give it a stir.
6. Cover the top and bring the soup to a boil and then down to medium. Cook until lentils are soft. Consider partially covering the top so the soup doesn’t overflow.
You can enjoy your lentil soup with some wheat toast and fresh squeezed lemon drops on top as well as an additional pinch of cumin.